Hall of Fame Q & A



William Ward 

What does being a HOFer mean to you?

First, I would like to thank the HOF committee for the nomination and induction.  It is such an honor to be a part of the NGFFL HOF.  What does it means to me?  Flag football is such a passion for me. I thoroughly enjoyed every year with the NGFFL and to be recognized by the league truly touches my heart.  I hope that I was able to contribute to the game, to the players, and even to the refs (lol). I wouldn’t be here without my amazing teammates from Chicago and Michigan.  No one gets here alone, therefore part of this HOF belongs to the players I have played with.  I have played with many great and amazing athletes but I want to point out a few that have always had me back on the field.

Glen Rexing -- When he was in his prime, he would think that he was the fastest guy on the team and had the best hands.   Brian Walker, my center and blocker.  He would constantly remind me that he would personally tackle me on the field if I threw another (@&*#) deep ball. Kevin Haight, my check-down WR. He was my go-to guy when I’m in scramble mode, which was often.  Chris Cleary. He anchored our defense and won some games for us.  Pete Bonavia. He sacrificed his nose in Atlanta to make that flag pull.  Leeron Kopelman, for trusting me to lead his Michigan Panthers team as their QB.  Players like these made my flag football experience memorable and exceptional.  Thank you.

What made you decide to come out and play in the NGFFL?

As a youth, I loved football.  In high school, I was a short skinnykid was on the football team in a small town in Texas.  When I got out of the Navy, and started working, I looked for avenues to play.  As a gay flaming jock [and no, it’s not an oxymoron], I wanted to be myself and play.  I remember reading a post from Jim and Cyd on outsports.com about a “Gay Bowl.”  I got in contact with Darrel Bayani and signed up for Gay Bowl II in SF.  It was a great experience and I couldn’t stop playing since.

What is your favorite NGFFL memory so far?

Besides becoming the first person who won both A and B division, I would say Gay Bowl II was my favorite.  Not knowing what to expect, nine guys from the Midwest travel to the west coast for two-day flag football tournament.  The rules were different then. I remember getting crack blocked on the very first game and thinking to myself. Ohh, HELL NO!!!  Needless to say, we were 0-3 in the round robin games.  We changed our approached on the second day and managed squeak out a win against SF in the quarters, and beat Boston in the semis with my bum ankle.  I didn’t want to stop playing because we didn’t have enough players. Everyone on my team was hurt for some reason or another.  We faced the mighty LA team in the finals and got destroyed. What really made this experience memorable was the camaraderie and hanging with SF players afterwards and going to dinner with them near SF Giants Stadium.  Darrel Bayani, Kenneth Jung, and company were gracious hosts, although they wanted to punish us several hours earlier.

Patrick McIntyre 


What does being a Hall of Famer mean to you?

Humbled pride. I couldn’t be more appreciative of this extraordinary recognition. But what’s more meaningful to me personally is what the NGFFL and its people have contributed to me as a player and a person over the years. The NGFFL and our local leagues have introduced me to so many people I may not have met and grown to love otherwise. There’s no greater gift than that.

What made you decide to “come out and play” in the NGFFL?

I knew I wanted to play sports, and I knew I wanted to be gay. What I didn’t know was how easy gay flag football would make it to express my competitive and nelly natures aaaaallllll at the same time. 

What is your favorite NGFFL memory so far?

As player, winning Gay Bowl IV in Atlanta with a defensive stand on the last play, and being named to the all-tournament team at Gay Bowl VI in Dallas. Off the field, winning the bid for Gay Bowl XII in Denver, and seeing the National Mall serve as our fields at Gay Bowl XVI in DC. But my most mind-blowing moment was way back at the Opening Party at Gay Bowl III in Boston, when we met so many guys like us, and kindled life-long friendships.

How did the NGFFL make you feel included in the sports community?

It helped me realize that I didn’t have to give up sports, and that I have friends across North America. For someone from a small Pennsylvania Dutch town, that was pretty cool.

Given the mission/vision of NGFFL: “To proudly foster community, camaraderie, and inclusivity by providing opportunities to engage in competition through flag football” – how do you plan to use your new moniker as Hall of Famer to embody this mission/vision?

Any way that’s needed. If my little story can inspire someone new to stand up and participate, or to help those who don’t know the LGBTQ community to understand that we are more similar than they might think, then I’m happy to tell it. Our fight is not over, and there are brothers and sisters who need us. I’d like to be there for them as best I can. 

What has been the most encouraging NGFFL advancement since you came out to play?

The growth and maturation of the Officiating Corps and the Women’s Division. Both have bettered and enriched our community and experiences in so many ways, and both have taken a great deal of work and determination to deliver. More, please…

What is one manner in which you would like to see the NGFFL advance over the next few years?

I would like to see more veteran players graduate to serve the league nationally and locally by officiating and volunteering. You all know what this league has given you. What can you give back? Secondly, I would like to see more local leagues spring up. If you move to a city without a league, start one. It’s been done before. And the league is here to help you do it.

Do you have any advice for new players?

Again, two things: Bring your love of the game and yourself to the fields and events with an open mind – you’ll never know who you’ll meet and what you’ll learn. And no matter how competitive you might be, always remember that it’s just GAY FLAG FOOTBALL! 

90s Whitney or 90s Mariah – and why?

It’s really hard to choose between two talents who are no longer with us. But if you really want me to dance with somebody, it would have to be Whitney all the way. Obvi.

Ryan O'Shaugnessy

What does being a Hall of Famer mean to you?

Respect. It means that your teammates, your coaches, and your competitors all respected the contributions one made either on the local or national level, or both.
 
What made you decide to “come out and play” in the NGFFL?

Friendship and Competition. I was asked to play back in 2008 at the Salt Lake City Gay Bowl. I was not only surprised at the the competition but the fact that I would make friendships that would last me my entire life.
 
What is your favorite NGFFL memory so far?

That's tough because there are so many! But it has to be the Washington D.C. Gay Bowl IX. Everyone on that team played their hearts out all tournament long and we left everything we had on the field, but we came up short on the very last play of the game. We failed to convert the 2 pt. conversion and lost by 1 to the L.A. Motion. They rushed the field popping champagne bottles and didn't bother to even shake our hands. That moment that day forever fueled me for every single snap of every single game I played in... and 6 consecutive championships later I would say it all worked out for the best. 

Do you have any advice for new players?

Learn from the best. Study them inside and out. Know what makes them great. See what is working for them and try to improve upon the areas they might be lacking in, and once you have this information pass it down to other new players and coaches. This is why the NGFFL keeps getting more and more competitive every single year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment