Jodie Turner, NGFFL 2019 Hall of Fame





What does being a Hall of Famer mean to you?
Being a Hall of Famer is an incredible honor that is really hard to put into words.  
I am proud to join all of the previous amazing Hall Of Famers.  It recognizes the success of the Mile High Club (MHC) under my leadership; there is no other team in the history of the NGFFL that has done what we have. It also makes me reflect on the past eight years that I have been in the Denver Gay and Lesbian Flag Football League (DGLFFL). I have continued to encourage the MHC women to be involved as leaders in the DGLFFL.  Since becoming MHC Captain the number of female quarterbacks, refs, captains, and board members has exponentially increased in the DGLFFL. I am also very big on giving back to our community, which is why MHC has now started to host events to donate to charity. Recently I have continued this work on a national level, speaking with other women’s teams about how to help their leagues be more inclusive of all genders so they can enjoy the same feeling of community that we have in Denver. I can’t wait to celebrate this award with all the previous winners and my Denver family. I am so grateful to everyone that has been a part of this journey with me. 

What made you decide to “come out and play” in the NGFFL?
When I came back from being deployed with the Air Force I decided I wanted to get more involved in our local DGLFFL leauge which then led me to play on the loose women’s team in the first women’s gay bowl. Being raised in Louisiana and living in Arkansas for a couple of years, we didn’t have the opportunity to play in a local rec LGBTQ sports league. It gave me the best of both worlds because I was able to compete as an athlete and also be a part of the Denver gay and NGFFL community. “Coming out and playing” was one of the best decisions I have made. I have developed some amazing lifelong friendships and been able to travel and compete with my MHC family. 

What is your favorite NGFFL memory so far?
My favorite memory is playing in the championship game for Gay Bowl XIII in Phoenix against the Brooklyn Menace. The game was so competitive and evenly matched. Both teams had great sportsmanship that made the game so fun to play in. It eventually went into double overtime and the sidelines were so loud with fans that when the QBs were calling plays we couldn’t even hear them on the field. It was an incredible game with an incredible ending and I’ll never forget the rest of the Denver community rushing the field after the game. That game was so symbolic of the high level of competition in the NGFFL and also the community that we all love being a part of. We have built great friendships with the New York players over the years and I also cherish the strong relationships between the Summit men and the MHC women that really formed during that tournament.

How did the NGFFL make you feel included in the sports community?
I have played sports my entire life.  The NGFFL gave me the opportunity to continue playing sports as an adult.  It gives us the ability to compete at a local level, meet new people, give back to the community and even compete at a National level. 

What has been the most encouraging NGFFL advancement since you came out to play? 
The NGFFL’s most encouraging advancement is how they have embraced women as a part of the organization.  When the first Women’s Division was created at Gay Bowl XII in 2012, there were only 7 teams. Now 8 years later and going into Gay Bowl XIX, the Women’s Division will have over 14 teams.  This is incredible growth in a short timeframe. The NGFFL Board and other city leaders are doing a great job of making the women feel they belong in this organization.  

Do you have any advice for new players? 
Get involved! Start by joining your local leagues and then when you feel more comfortable, get involved by volunteering for leadership roles (captaining, reffing, being on the board, helping to put on tournaments).  Building a community is more important than anything else!!

Team Swift, Team Perry or Queen Bey – and why?
TEAM P!NK!!!! P!nk is a bada** that continues to stand up for what is right and push the boundaries for women and the LGBTQ community. She has used her platform to push for change and to fight the good fight! She is always true to herself and encourages all of us to live our truth. “We are all pink on the inside, we all bleed red, we all cry clear tears, we all put one foot in front of the other...we all want to be loved and accepted and understood.” - P!nk

No comments:

Post a Comment