Tyler Foerster, NGFFL 2019 Hall of Fame





What does being a Hall of Famer mean to you? 
This award being the highest honor recognized in this league makes it above and beyond more special than any achievement I’ve accomplished.  More than any award or championship to date. I was at the first Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony back in 2010 at Gay Bowl X in Phoenix.  I remember it well because it was my first ever Gay Bowl. To think exactly 9 years later (10/10/2010 – 10/10/2019) I would be receiving this award leaves me absolutely speechless. I say that because reflecting back to that moment, I would have thought that I had ZERO chance of being even nominated for this recognition.  I was this shy kid from Indiana, barely out of the closet, new to the sport and definitely NOT a leader whatsoever.  I also had this young cocky attitude on the field that turned off many people. (Which I’ll explain more later in my ‘Favorite Moment’)

That all changed when I decided to play in the SDAFFL in 2014. I flew from Chicago, through Seattle, and down to San Diego on Fridays.  Played football on Saturday mornings, and flew home on Sundays for 14 weekends that spring.  After the last week of games before the playoffs, I quit my job, packed my things and moved to San Diego. From that moment, I knew I wanted to be more involved, more of a leader. San Diego gave me that opportunity. I stepped up to coach a team the very next season.  Then dedicated the next four years to the Board, leading as Commissioner these past two years.  From all those long flights to sleepless nights, Hall of Famer status is the cherry on top.  

What made you decide to “come out and play” in the NGFFL? 
When I first moved to Chicago, I played for a soccer team in a recreational league.  It was when my coach kicked me off the team for being gay that made me explore the Gay Sports Leagues.  After playing in the gay soccer league in Chicago, I looked into other sports, one of which being flag football.  I only played in four games for my fraternity my senior year in college, as my high school didn’t have tackle football until a few years after I graduated.  I enjoyed it in college, so I decided to give it a try.  Best part, one of my teammates for soccer turned out to be my teammate for flag football, and we’ve continued to be teammates for about ten years now as we both moved to SD together.  Coming out to play in the NGFFL made me proud to be gay, proud to be a part of a league that welcomes all people no matter their sexual status.  I made so many friends in this league that carried over into other sports league, and it’s been the best experience I’ve ever had.  I’m not sure where I’d be without this league, therefore I’m grateful for its existence.

What is your favorite NGFFL memory so far?
I have two.  One is my first vivid memory of this league, the other is my favorite. But I can guarantee that after being inducted this year, it will be my favorite memory in the NGFFL hands down.

The first memory of my NGFFL experience was playing against LA Motion in the Quarterfinals at Gay Bowl X in Phoenix.  After catching a first down pass, I remember trash talking a player on the other team just before the snap.  I said, “So, are you going to guard me this time?”  That very next play he intercepted the ball thrown to me.  Tail between my legs moment, which resulted in my first ever loss in the league.  I found out the next day it was the one and only Cyd Ziegler, founder of the NGFFL, and he was the first ever to be inducted into the HoF.

The favorite memory was winning my first National Championship Title with the San Diego Bolts at Gay Bowl XIV in Philadelphia.  I shared this moment with my first teammate and best friend that I mentioned before.  I found out later that night that I won Defensive MVP.

What is one manner in which you would like to see the NGFFL advance over the next few years?  I’d love to see Flag Football at every Gay Games event. 

Do you have any advice for new players? 
1) Never give up.  On and off the field.  Always give it 100%.
2) Step up, volunteer, and give back.  Make the league better than how you found it. 
3) Always respect the game and your opponents.

Team Swift, Team Perry or Queen Bey – and why? Team Sia!  That Christmas Album is everything!!!  Been listening to her on repeat and I own 10x more songs by Sia than Swift+Perry+Beyonce combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment