Jeremiah Phipps, NGFFL 2020 Hall of Fame


What does being a Hall of Famer mean to you?

To be honest the Hall of Fame is just the icing on the cake from having played with such great teammates. It is nice to be inducted to the Hall of Fame, but that would have never been possible without the great coaches and teammates who scarified and did all the little things right so I could perform. To me it will always be a recognition of all the of unsung warriors I battled with year end and year out. My Hall of Fame nod is for all the teammates that I played with that will never get their just due and this means the world to me because it allows me to have a bigger platform to continue to praise and thank them for all the things that did to make me a better player.  


 

What made you decide to “come out and play” in the NGFFL?

I honestly just wanted to show the world that gay men and women could be terrific athletes and teammates in group sports who also could performed at the highest levels. It was about not only breaking the mold, but shattering stereotypes that hounded gay athletes. 


 

What do you want your NGFFL legacy to include?

Put simply that I was the first to open the door to high end high skilled athletes to come out and play this game in the open while celebrating being gay at the same time. To further that point this also created a dialogue with amazing straight athletes to push the boundaries of this league even further. There is a saying GAME RESPECTS GAME and that is what I always wanted this league to be as something to be respected on and off the field of play. 




No comments:

Post a Comment