Jeremy Stetslicki, NGFFL 2020 Hall of Fame



What does being a Hall of Famer mean to you?

Given the quality of the NGFFL, DCGFFL and the National Hall, I believe this honor is a recognition of my consistent and competitive level of play and overall contributions to the game. Being in the HoF is more importantly a similar recognition of all my current and former Washington Generals teammates and the culture we created together over the years.

 

What made you decide to “come out and play” in the NGFFL?

I was recently out and new to DC. Joining the local league was a way for me to integrate into a vibrant, supportive, fun community while getting to play competitive team sports as an adult. Being a part of G5 has been one of the most positive and important experiences and identities of my life. I quickly realized I couldn't replicate the extreme feelings of brotherhood and family any other way. I was hooked! Playing in the NGFFL as a member of the Washington Generals isn't a thing that I do. It's not an activity. It's a key part of who I am.

 

What do you want your NGFFL legacy to include?

That I also competed fiercely and fearlessly. That I was a leader who mentored players and set the tone for a winning and fun culture. Between the lines, underestimate my old, slow ass at your peril! 

 

What are your suggestions to the NGFFL leadership to assist in continuing to advance the organization’s reach, mission, and vision? 

Do what it takes to maintain, and in some cases grow, the quality of the competition. Sustaining the A bracket, ensuring quality of refereeing will help keep the competition high. For many of our gay athletes, we are there for the football.

 

What is your memorable Gay Bowl moment so far?

The Generals came very close over the years to winning GB. Just couldn't get over the hump for a number of reasons. Winning our first GB in 2018 was a joyous, but also cathartic, experience. So many battles, including going back to the team's founding with me as captain, all built into that team and that championship. I think I was the only original team member to be on that 2018 roster. It's been a long journey and I will always remember my tumult of emotions when the final whistle blew. Elation, relief, disbelief, surreality, pride; all those disparate emotions mixed up and manifested in screams, hugs, and sobs. Shit I got chills writing this!

 

How did the NGFFL give you a sense of belonging and affirm your LGBTQ+ athlete identity?

It's been an honor to share the field with so many talented and competitive LGBTQ+ athletes. We dispel the stereotypes so many straights, including well-intentioned allies, have about gay men particularly. Over the last decade, I've seen so many straight guys astounded by how talented gay players are. Our imperfect and halting progress toward equality comes in steps and via individuals; we dispel notions and remove barriers of otherness through sports. It's powerful. 

 

What is your go to artist or song to get you in game mode and why?

My teammates know my choices are odd ones: Motown and quiet storm. Pre-game listens include singing along to Anita Baker to get hyped. I'm strange.


No comments:

Post a Comment