Paul Sokolson, NGFFL 2020 Hall of Fame



What does being a Hall of Famer mean to you?  

Being a Hall of Famer means that I have the honor of having been selected by a group of some of the finest people, who have excelled in this great sport, but more importantly, have contributed countless thankless hours and exhausting energy toward making this organization what it is, in furtherance of its admirable goals. It means I have been recognized by my peers for my own hard work and achievements. But in a sense, I find it kind of silly to be rewarded for doing something I love, that is so much fun, around people I love for so much more than football. Regardless, I am truly honored.

 

What made you decide to “come out and play” in the NGFFL? 

In my teenage years, playing sports and being gay were incongruent and that suppressed my true self. In my early twenties, I was able to come out, in large part, due to my involvement in both the NY Gay Flag Football League's inaugural season and the NGFFL Gay Bowl. Through my involvement in the league, I saw that you could both be gay and be a "jock". I finally felt like I was a part of a greater community, which in turn helped me feel comfortable in my own skin.


What is your memorable Gay Bowl moment so far?

I've been a part of some great teams and have had some individual success. What I found is that all of that is fleeting. My greatest memories involve the amazing friends I've met through this league who will be friends long after we're able to lace up our cleats on the field. If 2020 has taught us anything, it is that what really matters is not the accolades you receive, but rather, the relationships you've made.

 

What advice or wisdom would you share with new players? 

My advice would be to always love yourself, and to cherish the relationships you'll make. You have one life to live, so don't waste time and energy thinking you are not good enough, or not worthy of finding happiness.  Despite the constant barrage of negative news, there are good people out there. Don't be afraid to do the work and dig a little deeper to find that good in people. It will be well worth your time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment